School Resource Officers
The School Resource Officer (SRO) program is a joint effort between the City of Allen and the Allen Independent School District (AISD) to staff full-time police officers in Allen schools. The SRO is under the direct supervision of the police department. The unit is staffed by two sergeants and 11 officers assigned to schools throughout the city.
The SRO unit exists to provide a safe and secure environment for learning at AISD campuses. To reduce crime and violent incidents in schools, officers establish rapport with students, parents and staff. They also patrol the schools and teach educational programs.
- Provide a safe educational environment for students and staff
- Bridge the gap between police officers and students
- Increase positive attitude towards law enforcement
- Encourage cooperation between students and police
- Deter criminal activity among our youth
- Keep an open line of communication with fellow officers
School Resource Officers' roles and responsibility regarding criminal activity are as follows:
- Investigate crimes that occur on campus
- Conduct interviews with witnesses or possible witnesses
- Complete required paperwork on crimes that occur on campus
- Issue citations when necessary
- Make arrests when appropriate
- Teach programs that help kids say no to drugs