Allen Police Department's lateral entry program is designed for experienced officers interested in joining our force.
Lateral officer applicants are not required to attend the written exam or physical agility test.
- At least three (3) years of continuous services as a paid full-time peace officer
- At least two (2) years of patrol experience to include enforcing laws, investigating crimes, making arrests and carrying a firearm
- Employment with a municipality, sheriff's office or department of public safety with at least 60 sworn officers and a population of at least 50,000 people
- No pending disciplinary actions for investigations for misconduct/criminal activity
- Out of state officers must be TCOLE certified before starting the application process. Learn more.
The Chief of Police or his designee will make the final determination about whether an applicant meets eligibility standards.
Lateral officer applicants participate in a thorough hiring process:
- Obtain TCOLE certification if necessary
- Apply online
- Submit a personal history statement and preliminary interview packet
- Preliminary interview
- Oral board
- Background check
- Psychological exam
- Medical and drug screen
- Final interview with Chief of Police or his designee
Generally, two trips to Allen are necessary to complete the hiring process.
Contact a recruiter at 214.509.4210 or email us to request additional information.