Residential Services

Permits are required for many home projects including roof repairs, irrigation installation and fence replacement. Whether you'll do the work yourself or hire a contractor, we're here to make the process as easy as possible.

COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Operational Changes

Customer service windows for permitting are open. Visitors to other departments in Allen City Hall should schedule an appointment before visiting. More information.

Public access to City Hall and the Building Inspections Division offices is on a limited basis until further notice. We’ll continue providing phone consultation, plan review and inspections. We also are available to answer questions by phone at 214.509.4130 and via email.

Temporary Alternative Residential Inspection Options

Doing it yourself?

Complete the homeowner's affidavit before starting your project.

Hiring a contractor?

Protect your property by ensuring your contractor has applied for and received a permit before starting work. Inspections are required!

Texas 8-1-1: Check Before You Dig

Whether you're planting a tree or installing a pool, you first must check the location of gas lines and other vital utilities.

  1. Permits
  2. Inspections
  3. Forms

Apply Online

You may submit applications for some residential permits online using the Citizen Self Service (CSS) Portal. A list of current online permit applications is provided below. For same-day residential permits or permits not listed below, visit Building Services on the first floor of Allen City Hall (305 Century Parkway).

To review all documents and payments required for submission, download the Guide to Building Permits.

Online Permit List

Use the Citizen Self Service (CSS) Portal to request any of these residential permits:
  • Accessory Structures (sheds, workshops)
  • Demolition
  • Water heater
  • Emergency services (repairs to electric or gas lines that have been shut off by utility provider)
  • Fence
  • Fire Flow Test
  • Fire sprinkler
  • Fire sprinkler modification
  • Fire sprinkler retrofit
  • Foundation repair
  • HVAC/mechanical
  • Irrigation
  • OTC (over the counter) Trade for minor electrical, mechanical or plumbing
  • Roof
  • Siding
  • Solar
  • Window replacement

Using the Citizen Self Service (CSS) Portal

For help with the CSS Portal, use these step-by-step guides or contact Building Services staff.