How Fire Safe is YOUR Home?
Make fire safety "family business" by involving the entire family in a fire safety inspection. Here's a comprehensive checklist to use as a guide.
- Matches stored out of the reach of children
- No overloaded outlets, worn or frayed extension or appliance cords
- No curtains or towel racks close to the range
- Flammable liquids (cleaning fluids, contact adhesives, etc.) or aerosols stored away from the range or other heat source (Remember, even a pilot light can set vapors on fire.)
- Don’t store items above the range where someone could get burned reaching for them (especially small children in search of cookies or other goodies)
Living room, family room, den, bedrooms
- No extension cords run under rugs or carpets or looped over nails or other sharp objects that could cause them to fray; Replace or fix overloaded or frayed extension cords
- Fireplace kept screened and cleaned regularly
- Use only large ashtrays and empty them frequently when there is no heat or burning left (Small ashtrays are too dangerous.)
- Sufficient air space around TV, stereo and other electronic equipment to avoid overheating
- Space Heaters kept three feet away from curtains, furniture and papers
Basement, garage, storage areas
- No newspapers or other rubbish stored near furnace, water heater, or other heat source
- No oily, greasy rags stored, except when kept in labeled and sealed non-glass containers (preferably metal)
- No gasoline or other flammable liquids stored in the house, basement, or near a workbench or pilot light.
- No overloaded outlets or extension cords and all electrical fuses should be the correct size
Safety measures: Do you have these safety items in your home?
- Working smoke detectors on all levels and outside sleeping areas (each story or wing, basement, etc.) Have you tested the detector in the last month?
- ABC or ABCD fire extinguisher in the kitchen and/or workshop? Emergency exit plan, with two ways out from each room and a meeting place outdoors?
Using unsafe habits? These guidelines may help your family become more safety aware.
- Wear close-fitting sleeves while cooking. (No loose sleeves, shirts, blouses or skirts that may catch fire.)
- Never leave cooking unattended.
- Never use gasoline to start a fire in the grill or add lighter fluid to an already-started fire.
- No smoking while fueling a vehicle or a boat or a gas powered tool like a lawn mower.
- No smoking in bed, or in a chair or on the sofa when tired, drinking or taking medication.
- Never spray aerosols while smoking or near a space heater, range or other ignition source.
- No smoking while using a cleaning fluid, paint thinner or other flammable liquid.
- Never use a cigarette lighter after spilling flammable fluid on your hands or clothing.
- Never reach over a range or climb onto a range to get something stored above it.
- Never lean against a range for warmth or stand too close to a heater or fireplace.
- Never let a small child to blow out a match.
- Never use a lighted match, lighter or candle to illuminate a dark area, such as a closet.