If you're leaving town for the holidays, keep these safety tips in mind.
- If you’re going out of town, share your plans with a trusted neighbor. Nosy neighbors are the best deterrents for thieves!
- While out of town, ask the post office to hold your mail. Stop your newspaper subscriptions or other automatic deliveries so packages don’t pile at your door or in your driveway.
- Don’t keep your trash cans out too long. Ask a neighbor to bring cans away from the curb after trash day.
- Keep a light on near the center of your home to give the impression that someone is inside. You can also use preset timers to turn lights on or off.
- Keep your home alarm registered and display your permit in a visible place.
Want more tips to protect your home? Check out Allen Police Department’s exclusive interview with captured serial burglar Michael Durden.