More than 1.1 million materials were checked out from Allen Public Library last year, one of several incredible records.
Library staff welcomed more than 378,000 visitors and provided library cards to 6,264 new patrons, according to a report presented to Allen City Council during the March 14 meeting. Other highlights for 2016 included:
- 4,564 kids, 836 teens and 1,064 adults enrolled in the 2016 summer reading program
- 17,549 people attended a summer program in July, a new monthly record
- 99 teen volunteers provided 1,717 hours of vital assistance during busy summer season
- 22,877 new items added to library catalogue
- 84,756 questions answer by staff at library reference desk
These efforts helped Allen Public Library earn the 2016 Achievement of Library Excellence Award for its third consecutive year. It is one of just 43 Texas libraries out of 548 in the state to receive this honor.
Allen Public Library will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2017. A special celebration is planned for October.
Above - Allen Public Library Board Chair Devita Walker and Allen Public Library Director Jeff Timbs celebrate the 2016 Achievement of Library Excellence Award.