While you’re searching for back-to-school bargains, thieves are searching for the perfect crime. Use these tips to protect yourself during tax-free weekend (August 11-13) and all year long.
- Take your keys, lock your car and hide your valuables. Following these instructions will prevent most opportunistic break-ins and car thefts.
- Secure your purse. Keep bags zipped and never leave them in a shopping cart or draped over the back of a chair.
- Clean out your wallet before shopping. Don’t carry your social security card or birth certificate, and only bring the credit cards you plan to use. Avoid carrying or displaying large amounts of cash.
- Park in a well-lit area and be conscious of your surroundings as you leave and approach your vehicle. Avoid distractions such as texting or talking on your cell phone.
- Walk in the middle of the parking lot aisle to make yourself more visible to drivers who are backing out.
- Keep children close to you at all times, preferably in a carrier or stroller. Arrange a safe meeting place if you get separated.
Allen Police operates three storefront locations at Watters Creek, The Village at Allen and Allen Premium Outlets. If you need the assistance of a police officer for a non-emergency situation, call 214. 509.4321. For emergencies, call 911.