Source: Texas Poison Center Network
There are special poisoning concerns during the winter, including carbon monoxide poisoning and car-related chemicals. Follow these important tips from Texas Poison Center Network to keep your family safe this winter:
- Install carbon monoxide alarms outside of every sleeping area in your home. If you already have carbon monoxide alarms, check the batteries.
- NEVER use the gas range or oven for heating, even in power failures.
- NEVER burn coal or use charcoal in a closed space, even a garage with the door open.
- NEVER leave an automobile motor running in a closed garage.
- Store antifreeze and windshield washer solution in a locked cabinet, where children and pets can't get to them.
If you suspect a poisoning, call your local Texas poison center at 1.800.222.1222. If the person is unconscious, call 9-1-1 for immediate medical assistance.