NOV. 12, 2021 - Allen’s Downtown Steering Committee, led by resident volunteers, gave its first-year update during the Nov. 9 City Council meeting. The group was formed in summer 2021 and recently completed Phase 1 of its work to develop a new vision for Downtown Allen. Watch the presentation
Downtown Allen currently is made up of a zoned area called the Central Business District. As more research and discussion takes place, the committee anticipates an expansion and/or adjustment of what is designated as Downtown Allen.
Phase 1 included data collection, researching grant opportunities and learning from other local downtowns. The committee shared its research and downtown information through online blogs posts and trivia questions. Beginning mid-November, residents can keep up with further updates at DowntownAllen.com.
Phase 2 begins in early 2022 with a focus on community engagement and feedback. Stantec, a third-party consultant, will help execute Phase 2 efforts. Prior to the new year, Stantec also will facilitate stakeholder meetings with landowners, businesses, City staff and boards and commissions.
Stay tuned for mailing information coming to Allen residents in January! Visit DowntownAllen.com for more information on the following feedback opportunities, culminating with a three-day planning event in March.
Downtown engagement opportunities in 2022
- Outreach efforts (January-March): HOAs, PTA meetings, Allen Public Library Book Club, community events, Collin College Tech Campus, Allen-Fairview Chamber of Commerce, Allen Arts Alliance, other community organizations
- Visioning workshops (January-March): Five geographically based workshops to include one high school workshop
- Online engagement: Surveys, Idea Wall, mapping exercises
- Three-day planning charrette (March): Community is invited to join the Steering Committee and Stantec to discuss research from Phases 1 and 2. The goal is to define three visions for downtown revitalization.
- Post-charrette feedback (April-May): Steering Committee will re-engage with community members to choose a final vision to include in final report to City Council.
- Deliver Phase 2 report to City Council (June)