With holiday shopping in full-swing, Allen Police Department would like to share some tips that will help you have safe shopping experiences this season.
- When possible, avoid shopping alone.
- At night, park in well-lit areas.
- Be aware of your surroundings outside AND in the store.
- Carry minimal amount of cash.
- Do not leave purchased items visible in your parked vehicle.
- Do not leave your purse/wallet unattended for any amount of time.
- Be aware of strangers approaching you for any reason.
- Have your keys out and ready before you get to your vehicle.
- Call law enforcement immediately to report crimes in progress or suspicious subjects loitering in parking lots.
- Protect your PIN during purchases.
- Watch for skimming devices at gas pumps before using a credit card.
- Be cautious when using an ATM. Use machines located in busy areas and be aware of your surroundings.
- When purchasing online, always verify websites and use secured payment methods.
Additional Allen Police Personnel on Patrol for the Holiday Shopping Season
Anxious Christmas shoppers will likely be lining up for evening and early morning promotional sales/discounts that many retailers are advertising this Holiday Season. That means Allen Police will provide extra patrols beginning Black Friday. Those will be followed by regularly scheduled Holiday Patrols.
Officers will be looking to keep the peace and to suppress criminal activity. Officers will circulate through parking areas, drive along the retail corridors looking for anything suspicious, and provide extra protection for shoppers in Allen as we enter the holiday gift buying season. Patrols will continue through December 23.
We encourage you to call law enforcement immediately if you see something suspicious and we hope you have a happy and safe holiday season!