Allen City Council candidacy requirements:
- Designation of Campaign Treasurer (CTA) (required)
- Application (required)
- Oath of Nomination (required)
- Application fee of $20 or a petition* may be filed in lieu of the fee (required)
- Code of Fair Campaign Practices form (optional)
- Be a United States citizen. (Texas Election Code)
- Be at least eighteen (18) years of age. (Texas Election Code)
- Be a qualified voter of the City of Allen for at least six (6) months at the time of filing. (Allen City Charter)
- Be a resident of Texas and the city for at least one (1) year immediately preceding the election. (Texas Election Code / Allen City Charter)
- Hold no other elected office or appointed public office or position of emolument, except as authorized by state law. (Allen City Charter)
- Not have been determined by a final judgment of a court to be totally mentally incapacitated, or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote. (Texas Election Code)
- Not have been finally convicted of a felony from which not pardoned. (Texas Election Code)
*If filing a petition in lieu of the filing fee, State law sets the number as the great of: 1) 25; or 2) 1/2 of 1 percent of the total votes cast in the most recent mayoral election. There were 51,481 votes case in 2020. The total signatures required for a petition filed in 2022 and/or 2023 is 257.
Allen City Council meets on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month in the Council Chambers at Allen City Hall. Agendas are posted in accordance with the Texas Open Meetings Act which requires at least 72 hours notice on the City’s Official bulletin board at City Hall and on the City’s website.